Dental Care Tips That Expecting Mothers Should Follow
Why expecting mothers need regular dental care?
Motherhood is a beautiful time for a woman because it marks the beginning of a new chapter in her life. It’s a time when she requires nutritious diet, regular exercise, and proper rest. If you are expecting too, then you must meet these requirements optimally to experience a smooth transition into motherhood.
There is, however, one more aspect that expecting mothers must not ignore—dental care. Health experts like Dr. Alpa Dalal strongly believe that proper dental care could help avoid any complications during pregnancy. Expecting mothers go through huge fluctuations in hormones, which affect their teeth in some way or the other. Regular dental care can help you combat such effects.
At the same time, regular dental care can maintain the aesthetic beauty of your face by keeping your teeth clean and strong always. Dr. Alpa Dalal, is who you need for keeping your dental health at its peak during your pregnancy. The professional will examine your gums and teeth and identify any oral issues to treat them in advance.
Here are a few aspects that women should take care of while visiting a general dentist or a family dentist during pregnancy:
- Inform your family dentist about your pregnancy so that any urgent procedures can be performed in advance. You should, however, postpone any elective procedures until your delivery. Do consult your obstetrician for any precautions you should be following.
- Tell your general dentist about the prenatal medications and vitamins you are taking. You should also discuss any special medical advice your practitioner has given. This will make it easier for your dentist to formulate a treatment plan.
- Dental x-rays can be taken during pregnancy. Your family dentist, however, will make sure to take precautionary measures to safeguard you and your baby. Your thyroid and abdomen should be covered during the process.
- You should focus on your gums during your dental appointment so that signs of pregnancy gingivitis can be identified at the earliest.
Merely visiting your family dentist and getting your oral health check doesn’t always eliminate the chances of complications. Women should also follow a strict oral care regimen at home. Here are a few tips to follow in this respect:
- Expecting mothers should brush their teeth at least twice daily with a fluoride toothpaste. Using a soft-bristled toothbrush can prevent gums from bleeding.
- Flossing should be included in their oral care regimen to remove plaque and debris from areas where the brush cannot reach.
- Starchy and sweet foods should be limited to prevent acidity attacks and dental cavities.
- Calcium-rich foods such as cheese, milk, dried beans, and vegetables should be included in the diet to boost the health of teeth of expecting mothers.
By following the above tips, expecting mothers can avoid prenatal dental complications and progress smoothly through their pregnancy.
Dr. Alpa Dalal – dentist in Pleasanton – dentist in Dublin – dentist in Livermore – dentist in Danville – dentist in San Ramon