Why Brushing the Right Way is the Most Necessary Requirement for Healthy Teeth and a Bright Smile
As per a study conducted in 2018, no more than 30% of the population of the USA brush regularly after every meal, and at least 50% does not floss. While any dental professional would tell you to brush at least twice per day, most people do not follow this and end up having problems that vary from a basic toothache to risky levels of teeth and gum disorders. We have patients who have developed dental problems due to not brushing properly, turning up at our emergency dental care everyday with toothache.
Brushing Tips from Dr. Alpa Dalal
We at Dalal Dental Care are concerned about our patients and hence recommend some tips from our dentists to help you keep your teeth sparkling and away from dental problems.
- Concentrate on brushing every individual tooth instead of just areas in your mouth. Move the brush in small circular motion rather than back and forth across and area.
- Brushing the upper surface of the teeth, this is something most people forget thus resulting in cavity.
- Don’t brush too hard. Gentle and regular brushing is much more effective than brushing hard once a day.
- Selection of the right toothbrush is an important factor. Don’t use a hard-bristled toothbrush. They are harmful for the gums and if you have sensitive gums, they can cause bleeding as well leading to necessity for gum treatment.
- Clean the gum line. This is very important since both bacteria and food can stay stuck in these areas. So, clean the area where your teeth meet your gums in both the front and the back of your mouth.
- Remember to keep your toothbrush clean and preferably use a cap to protect the head. This stops bacteria from settling on the toothbrush. Also clean the brush properly before your start.
What to do When it Comes to Kids?
We understand that it is tough to get children to brush, however it is an important activity and must be taught to children to perform regularly. One of the best ways to develop this habit is by turning it into a family activity. Also remember to use soft bristled toothbrush and for very young kids you can skip the toothpaste on alternate days.
Healthy habits for kids start now. Two times a day, twice a day is the magic number for brushing your teeth properly. Getting your little ones to brush for the full two minutes is fun with songs like these: http://bit.ly/2Mq5Mc6
If you or your children are facing any dental problem, please contact Dr. alpa Dalal for free consultation. We care for you and your beautiful smile is our first milestone. Take care!